by Kristin Edwards, Downtown Deli
This salad is vibrant and crisp, and the ingredients are available all year round!
Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. High in fiber, and chock full of calcium and vitamins, it is also a good source of minerals, copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus. Bonus—it’s delicious! Source: webmd.com
PNW Kale Salad
Serves 4 to 6
INGREDIENTS for the DRESSING
- 2½ heaping tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 ounce water
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
INGREDIENTS for the SALAD
- 6 cups shredded kale, packed
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1¼ cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1½ cup shredded carrot
- Combine first six dressing ingredients. Slowly add olive oil, whisking vigorously to emulsify.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Add the emulsified dressing and toss to fully coat the salad with the dressing.