by Selva Wohlgemuth, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist
Selva's simple and delicious recipe for stuffed squash can be adjusted to include your favorite ingredients.
Prep time: 45 minutes
1 medium delicata squash
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
salt and pepper, to taste
Mix and match these stuffing suggestions or choose a selection of your favorites—
- Fat: grass-fed butter
- Veggies: kale, mushrooms, onions, celery, garlic
- Spices: sage, thyme, marjoram
- Nuts: chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- Protein: white beans or ground beef or lamb
- Cooked grain: wild rice
- Cheese: crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Fresh herb garnish: minced chives or parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Rub the skin and flesh of the squash with oil or butter. Sprinkle the inside with a little salt and pepper. Lay the squash face side down on the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Now, you can stuff your delicata squash in whatever way you like.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil or butter over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add your choices of veggies, fresh or dried herbs or spices, and sauté until the greens are wilted or the onions are glassy.
- Toss in some nuts or seeds, protein, cooked grain, and mix well. Continue to sauté for about 2 to 5 more minutes until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into the roasted delicata squash and top evenly with cheese of choice. Return the stuffed squash to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top slightly browned.
- Garnish with fresh herbs. Serve as a main course or cut in half for a side.