by Selva Wohlgemuth, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist
For all you chocolate lovers out there, this one is for you.
This decadent treat doesn’t require hours of labor to make and is full of healthy fats and fiber that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Make sure to choose avocados that are perfectly ripe but just slightly give to the touch. If they are too ripe, the avocado flavor is more prominent.
Photo by Selva Wohlgemuth
Decadent Chocolate Avocado Mousse
(gluten-free and vegan)
Makes 5-6 servings
Nutritionist Tips: It tastes best if made the night prior to allow the flavors to intensify. Find the darkest cocoa powder you can, because this is the key to mask the avocado flavor and boost the decadence factor of the recipe. I’ve had good results with Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder.
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (I get mine in the bulk section)
- 2 ripe large avocados
- ¼ cup extra dark cocoa powder (make sure to get the extra dark)
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (any other milk will do too)
Mint: Add 1 teaspoon organic peppermint extract
Spiced Thai Ginger: Add 1½ teaspoons ground ginger and ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne (per your preference)
Vanilla: Add an additional teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set up a small double boiler by filling a small saucepan with a little water and placing a small ceramic bowl inside. Put the chocolate chips inside the bowl and heat the saucepan over medium to melt the chocolate.
- Meanwhile, add the avocados, cocoa powder, maple syrup, sea salt, vanilla, soymilk, and additional spices to your food processor. Blend until smooth. Add the chocolate when melted and continue to process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Spoon the creamy smooth mousse into a glass bowl, cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to develop and the mousse to set. Garnish each serving with chocolate shavings and a strawberry. You can even go an extra step and serve the mousse with a dollop of whipped coconut cream or regular whipped cream.