by Lisa Samuel, Co-op News contributor
Every child loves a grilled cheese sandwich, but this gooey grilled cheese sneaks in a healthy dose of protein, good fats, fiber, and greens from cheese, avocado, and spinach.
Adapted from The Natural Pregnancy Cookbook.
Green Goblin Sandwiches
Makes 1 sandwich
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 medium avocado
- 1 ounce melting cheese (like cheddar or mozzarella)
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 teaspoon butter
- salt, to taste
- Tabasco or other hot sauce (optional)
- Finely chop the spinach and place in a medium bowl. Add the avocado and use a fork to smash it into a paste. Add the cheese, salt, and hot sauce and stir. Spread the mixture evenly over the slices of bread and close them to form a sandwich.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat and add the pat of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the sandwich to the skillet. Cover the skillet with a lid to help the cheese melt. Cook until the bottom of the bread is deep brown and toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and toast the other side, covered, until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy. Cut in half and serve.