by Lisa Samuel, Co-op News contributor
This salad is a perfect way to celebrate the beginning of summer! And it’s the place to break out the good flaky sea salt. That little bit of salty crunch is perfect! For those unfamiliar with Halloumi, it is a mild, firm, white cheese used especially in cooked dishes. The Mt. Vikos Halloumi carried at the Co-op is imported from Cyprus and made from sheep’s milk.
- 8 ounces halloumi, sliced
- 2 nectarines, sliced
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 cup cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, to taste
- Fresh herbs (like parsley, cilantro, basil, or savory), to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the halloumi slices in a single layer and cook a few minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl except for the avocado. Gently fold the ingredients together to coat the fruit and cheese with the lemon and olive oil. Add the avocado and top with additional sea salt and olive oil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: You can use any fresh herbs you like in this recipe. I especially love savory right now.