by Robin Asbell
These cute little tarts are perfect portions for dessert, and the berries on top glisten like little gems. A pecan and maple crust is like a crunchy cookie, and a perfect foil for the rich crème fraîche and juicy berries.
Recipe by Robin Asbell, also available at StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop.
Fresh Berry Cream Tartlets
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes; 40 minutes active
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries
- 3/4 cup all-fruit apricot jam
- For the tartlet shells, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin pan and reserve.
- In a food processor, pulse the pecans to finely chop. Add the oats, flour, and salt and process to mince the oats finely.
- Stir together the butter, maple and vanilla and pour into the processor. Pulse the processor to mix well, then transfer the oat mixture to a large bowl.
- Squeeze and knead the mixture, if needed, to make a dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop 2 rounded tablespoons into each muffin cup. Use your fingers to press the dough into the bottom and evenly up the sides about 3/4 of an inch. Bake for 20 minutes.
- For the filling, with an electric mixer or a stand mixer, whip the crème fraîche with the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla. The mixture will become thick and fluffy, like whipped cream.
- To assemble, spread the crème fraîche in the cooled shell. Distribute the berries over the cream pressing gently to embed them. Chill until set.
- In a cup, whisk the apricot jam with a tablespoon of water, then brush lightly over the berries. Assemble these the day you plan to serve them, so the crust doesn't get soggy.
322 calories, 19 g. fat, 27 mg. cholesterol, 54 mg. sodium, 37 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 3 g. protein