Summer in Bellingham means it's finally time for Covid-safe backyard BBQs and beach days. Step one of a fun party is refreshments, but many people choose to limit or completely omit alcohol. I don't drink much myself, but I adore cocktails. Fortunately, we have a wide selection of fun alcohol-free mixers and bases to delight everyone in your crowd. Each mocktail recipe will also include a spirits option to turn these into full-fledged cocktails.
Bright & Sunny Mule
This one uses a local favorite, Bright & Sunny Ginger Beer. Very refreshing, great for kids too.
- 7 oz Bright & Sunny Ginger Beer
- 3 oz Sparkling Water
- 1 oz Lime Juice (fresh or bottled)
- 3-4 Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped or torn
- Combine Sparkling Water and Lime Juice in a glass or mug
- Add most of the mint leaves
- Fill cup less than half way with ice
- Pour ginger beer over the ice slowly while stirring gently
- Top with the remaining mint leaves. Garnish with a lime slice if you're using fresh lime juice
Cocktail: Add Organic Bluewater Vodka
This take of the French 75 features non-alcoholic Hop Tea, made with Citra hops from Yakima. The white tea gives it a bit of a caffeine kick as well. Be picky with your Elderberry Syrup. Some options include lots of herbal additives that will alter the flavor.
- Combine Elderberry Honey Tonic and Lemon Juice in a shaker with ice, and shake until chilled
- Pour into champagne flute or wine glass
- Top with Hop Tea. Garnish with a lemon slice if you're using fresh lemon juice
Cocktail: Add Geranium London Dry Gin
Tepache is a probiotic beverage originating from Mexico, and lends quite a bit to this Paloma. This recipe also features Seattle-based Scrappy's Bitters.
- Moisten, then salt the rim of a glass, then add ice
- Carefully pour Tepache and Sparkling Water into the glass
- Dash in Cardamom Bitters, stirring very gently to mix flavors
- Garnish with a lime slice or two, if desired
Cocktail: Add La Gritona Tequila Reposado
(Vir)gin and Tonic
This fairly simple recipe produces some incredible flavors, and all the ingredients originate from Whatcom and Skagit county.
- Combine Neverclear Tonic, Lime Juice, and Douglas Fir Bitters in a shaker, and shake with ice
- Pour into a glass, and top with Sparkling Water
- Garnish with a lime slice if you're using fresh lime juice
Cocktail: Add OOLA Gin
Do It Yourself
Get creative and make your own mocktail using some of these delicious mixers, or mix and match with the above recipes for your own twist
Almost a mocktail all its own. This apple cider vinegar-based concentrate just needs a little soda water for a delicious fizzy tonic. You don't need much, it packs a punch! Made locally right here in Bellingham.
The award-winning Tres Agaves Margarita Mix and Bloody Mary Mix are perfectly balanced and can be enjoyed on their own, but a little Tepache added in can go a long way.