Notes on Ingredients
You can choose to use either the full package of tofu or a lesser amount to your preference. If you’d like a very substantial stew, use the full package (or most of it). If you’d like a lighter stew with fewer pieces of tofu, use roughly half of the package, and refrigerate the remaining tofu (tightly wrapped in plastic).
If you don’t care for tofu, add a can of black beans, rinsed and drained; roughly 1 3/4 to 2 cups. The beans will give similar hearty substance as the tofu.
Do not add the spinach until just ready to serve. If making this soup ahead of time, omit the spinach and then reheat soup, adding the spinach at the last minute and serve!
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add the water, onion, garlic, yams, salt, coriander seeds, and red pepper flakes. Cover and let cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- While cooking, prepare the lemongrass. Cut off the lower yellow bulbous portion (about halfway), and remove the outer tough leaves (discard outer leaves along with upper portion of stalk). Using your chef’s knife, bruise this bulbous portion. Cut a few shallow slits in the stalk and then use pressure from your knife to open and bruise the stalk to help release its flavors (do not chop the stalk, keep in one piece).
- Add the lemongrass, zucchini, bell pepper, stock, water, coconut milk, peanut butter (start with 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon), tamari, and fresh ginger.
- Stir through and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to low/medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- After this time, add the tofu (see note) and gently stir through.
- Simmer covered for another 3 to 5 minutes, or longer until yams have completely softened and can be easily squished.
- Add the fresh spinach and lime juice (start with 2 1/2 tablespoons, and add more if desired), stir through and serve immediately (so spinach stays a vibrant green color).
- Taste, and if you’d like a full peanut flavor, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, or more if desired.
- Remove piece of lemongrass before serving.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro if desired, and with a lime wedge to squeeze juices on individual portions.