Racial & Social
Equity at the Co-op
At the Co-op we think of ourselves as a community hub with a focus on quality food.
It is important to not only state our commitment but to reflect on and question our cultural and community practices that may further racial and social inequity. Racial equity work is a journey that includes a shift in policies, procedures, and our culture. There is no quick solution or “fix.” We invite our community to learn and challenge itself with us as we build a co-op that feels welcoming to all.
We believe this work is integral to fulfilling our stated vision, mission and values as a cooperative.
Our Proposed Strategic Plan Goal
With the intention of driving action and measurable change around equity, diversity, and inclusion within the Community Food Co-op, employees and board directors have drafted the following strategic plan goal that will guide our work over the next few years.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion goal in our strategic plan–
GOAL: We purposefully identify, discuss, and challenge systems of oppression and the disempowering impacts they have on the organization and our community.
Over the next 5 years, we will focus efforts to:
- Increase diverse cultural representation within our organization to create a culture of inclusivity in staff, members-owners, shoppers, and leadership.
- Grow and strengthen staff development programs to support internal skill, leadership, and engagement.
- Develop systems to incorporate community input into our processes and policies.
- Build collaborations and partnerships that drive the equity, diversity, and inclusion goal.
- Publicly report equity, diversity, and inclusion indicators and progress that transforms community and industry standards.
Report an Incident
We take complaints of racial bias very seriously and are committed to addressing them quickly and thoroughly. Please click below to report any incident of bias or racial profiling and harassment in our stores.