The Community Food Co-op is saddened by the continued violence against the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community and condemns all hate crimes. The pandemic has affected us all, but its impacts have not been equal. Throughout the pandemic, we have seen an increase in racial violence against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Asian American rights advocates attribute these attacks to political rhetoric blaming China for the pandemic and the scapegoating of Asian Americans for the economic and social impacts of COVID-19.
The Co-op has zero tolerance for racism, and we continue to work to transform our organization and community for racial equity. Racial equity work is a journey that includes a shift in policies, procedures, and our culture. We are committed to creating strategic goals, initiatives, policies, and practices to support that journey with measurable steps. Click here to read about the Co-op’s equity, diversity, and inclusion strategic plan goal.
Combatting racism requires us all to speak out whenever we encounter it. The Co-op is adding our voice to amplify the call to stop anti-Asian hate crimes and to support the AAPI community.
Here are a few resources to counter racism, support Asian Americans, and help communities heal.
- Asian American Pacific Islanders Organizing Coalition Against Hate and Bias — Seattle
- Stop Asian Hate Crime - Stop AAPI hate
- Stop AAPI Hate Action Steps — Stop AAPI Hate
- Bystander Intervention Resources - Training on how to protect your neighbors and co-workers when bias and harassment occur in front of you.
- Asian Pacific Solidarity Fund - The Solidarity Fund will provide grants to organizations working to address the persistent anti-Asian racism, including supporting the physical and mental health of survivors, ensuring the safety of seniors, and advocating for racial justice across racial lines.
Organizations to support
- AAPIP.org - Resource directory to mobilize the philanthropic sector towards meaningful action in the midst of heightened violence and hate targeting Asian American communities.
- Asian Pacific American Heritage - Learn about events and resources for Asian Pacific American Heritage month.
Visit our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion page for more information.