by Selva Wohlgemuth, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist
Keeps fresh like a charm and it's vegan and gluten free! For the perfect work lunch, place 1 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach in the bottom of your food container and top with the bean and pasta mixture. Then shake the container to combine prior to eating.
For the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 16-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2–3 cups cooked whole-wheat rotini pasta (substitute
with gluten-free bean pasta)
- 3 tablespoons sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup finely diced zucchini (1 medium)
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- baby spinach*
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, honey, sea salt, and pepper
in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Add the garbanzo beans, pasta, sundried tomatoes, diced zucchini, parsley, and red onion and mix to combine.
For best flavor allow the bean/pasta mixture to marinate
3 hours or overnight.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Toss with fresh baby spinach prior to serving.
Get More Tips for a Healthy New Year
Read Selva's January 2017 column and get her recommendations for an easy, healthy weekday routine.