by co+op, stronger together
- Remove the giblets from turkey cavities after thawing. Cook separately.
- Set oven temperature no lower than 325°F.
- Place turkey or turkey breast on lower rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- For even cooking, bake stufﬁng in a separate casserole dish, versus in the bird. Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the stufﬁng. The center should reach 165°F.
- If you choose to stuff your turkey, the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time. Separate wet and dry ingredients, and chill wet ingredients (butter/margarine, cooked celery and onions, broth, etc.) until ready to prepare. Mix wet and dry ingredients together just before ﬁlling the turkey cavities. Fill the cavities loosely. Cook the turkey immediately. Use a food thermometer to make sure the center of the stufﬁng reaches 165°F.
- Whole turkeys should be cooked to 165°F. To check for doneness, insert a food thermometer in the thickest part of the inner thigh without touching the bone.
- Turkey breasts should be cooked to 165°F. Insert a food thermometer in the thickest part of the breast to check for doneness.
- Let the turkey stand for 20 minutes before carving to allow juices to set. The turkey will carve more easily.
Turkey Roasting Timetable
Oven times are approximate and will vary. Always use a meat thermometer to ensure the correct internal temperature of 165°F has been reached.
For a 325°F oven temperature, follow this guide:
4–8 lbs → 1.5–2.75 hours
8–12 lbs → 2.75–3 hours
12–14 lbs → 3–3.75 hours
14–18 lbs → 3.75–4.25 hours
18–20 lbs → 4.25–4.5 hours
20–24 lbs → 4.25–5 hours
6–8 lbs → 2.5–3 hours
8–12 lbs → 3–3.5 hours
12–14 lbs → 3.5–4 hours
14–18 lbs → 4–4.25 hours
18–20 lbs → 4.25–4.75 hours
20–24 lbs → 4.75–5.25 hours
Posted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop.
How Much Food Will You Need?
No Room in your Fridge? No Problem!
We can store your turkey for you! Simply stop by either store and select your turkey, or call the service desk of either store and we will select a turkey for you (have a credit card number ready when you call). After you pay for your turkey, we will store it for you to pick up prior to Thanksgiving Day. For free! It's simply part of our customer service to make your holiday convenient (and delicious)!